Deus non alligatur. God is not bound. Nibbanam paramam sukham. Unbinding is the Highest Happiness. The Heart is Divinity. God is the primal radiance of Divinity. Nature is the primal manifestation of Divinity. The Buddha is the primal realization of Divinity. La ilaha il Allah. Allah is Complete Wholeness.

28 January 2007

Easy Yoga

Etymologically, the Sanskrit "yoga" is related to the English "yoke". The English "to yoke" means "to unite". The Sanskrit "yoga" includes the meaning of "unite", as well as other meanings, like "method", "way", and "work". The way of the Heart can thus be named "Hridaya-Yoga"; the method of the Buddha, "Buddha-Yoga". (Or, when speaking of the universal Way or Method common to all Beings, we may simply say "Yoga", and one who practices this Method or walks this Way, a "Yogi".) When Jesus talks about His own form of "yoga", the word He uses is usually translated as "yoke". Since the English "yoke" lacks the depth of meanings associated with its genetic relative "yoga", it might be insightful to take a Sanskritic view of Jesus' statement. Thus, we may modify Matthew 11:28-30 (KJV):

28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29Take my yoga upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

30For my yoga is easy, and my burden is light.




No comments: